Supporting Nuffnang

Pages

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Ended the 8th Semester


Aiy, semester break are ending soon, so excited for my coming final semester in Raffles, its certainly been a short but nice journey excluding all the rushing for due dates and last minute studies for test,, but its all well.

passing in all classes, now theres only 3 classes left for me in Raffles including my internship. Havent really got a clue yet to do intern for which company but certainly not helping my dad yet, had made a promise that after i got my degree and being certified as gemologist then only i will be back helping dad :)

Its still a long way to go but time sure flies quick. So, the previous studio class were stone setting and another class Jewelry Technology as we have to design for mass production while the studio class are to learn stone setting. Seriously, stone setting isnt my thing at all, but i got to at least learn it and pass my class LOL. But Sydney had been a great help with it, sadly she left the college because of some childish issues. gonna miss you in the studio Sydney.

Learn a lot about accuracy and the way stones sets in, i actually didnt thought that the steps would be so little just burring the holes with different burs and cleaning up but the important is accuracy whether the hole is bur straight and the heights and everything, is not easy. Below are some of my setting samples.

Photobucket
Bezel and Flush Setting Samples (ignore my fingerprint)

Photobucket
Partial Bezel Setting Sample (got A for this)

Photobucket
4 Point Prong Setting Sample

Photobucket
Tension Setting Sample (please ignore all the fire scales)

Photobucket
Channel Setting Sample (the most hideous setting sample)


Photobucket
Group picture of my settings samples.

Instead of Setting samples, the class also requires us to design a jewelry with stones incorporated and also with a chosen designer. What i chosen were George Sawyer's magnificent mokume pieces. It inspired me and influenced me a lot, and i had a mind set of making my own mokume but with copper and brass instead of silver and gold,but sadly my design were too complex and made me to do a much much more simpler piece due to the time frame i had before the due. 

Photobucket
this is my piece, inspired from George Sawyer's butterfly mokume, because i like the way he had his black mokume so that it totally contrast with the gold. Supposingly the interior of the piece is gold plated but there were technical misunderstandings of patina plated materials and turned out my entire piece became patina sadly. If not there will be an extreme contrast betwen the interior gold and exterior patina. The stone i used were just a pink cubic zirconia stone. The base material of this piece is sterling silver.

For jewelry technology class, i designed a collection of jewelry that can be mass produced. Its called the 'Minimal Tri's Collection'. This class were great for me because of my dad's business as i need to learn to design for mass produce therefore this class helped me a lot. So what i had were a tie chain and a necklace with a button interchangeable piece and a pendant matching with a pair of earring. Below is just the pendant and necklace piece. Material is Sterling Silver with a white cubic zirconia stone. If your interested, you can email me in matthewyew@hotmail.com with the subject stated 'MTC'





No comments:

Post a Comment